Recording of Peter Diamandis' Facebook Live Q&A on Competition Design
What is Visioneering?
Visioneering is your opportunity to design one of our next XPRIZEs. We are asking for your design concepts that can help solve a global need in one of five Grand Challenge Areas. The designers of the best concepts will work with experts at XPRIZE to further refine their concepts and develop them into the robust, incentivized competitions that take a global stage at our premier annual event, Visioneering 2018. Participants will be eligible to win prizes up to $100k in value.
5 Grand Challenge Areas
How Can I Participate?
- Click "Accept Challenge" above to register for the competition
- Form a team or submit a design as an individual
- Watch the Sponsor Intent Videos and choose from one of the 5 Grand Challenge Areas
(Energy of the Future, Feeding the Next Billion, Natural Disaster Prediction, Lifting Farmers out of Poverty, and Saving Coral Reefs)
- Watch Training Videos to help you design the next XPRIZE
- Create an account and contribute to the Wiki to share your expertise
- Record Your Pitch and Submit your design by July 23rd!
Still Have Questions?
Start a post in our Forum to join the conversation, find a team, or connect with other innovators.
XPRIZE, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the global leader in designing and implementing innovative competition models to solve the world’s grandest challenges. XPRIZE utilizes a unique combination of gamification, crowdsourcing, incentive prize theory and exponential technologies as a formula to make 10x (vs. 10%) impact in the grand challenge domains facing our world. XPRIZE’s philosophy is that—under the right circumstances—igniting rapid experimentation from a variety of diverse lenses is the most efficient and effective method to driving exponential impact and solutions to grand challenges.
Active competitions include the Lunar XPRIZE, $20M NRG COSIA Carbon XPRIZE, the $15M Global Learning XPRIZE, the $10M ANA Avatar XPRIZE, the $7M Shell Ocean Discovery XPRIZE, the $7M Barbara Bush Foundation Adult Literacy XPRIZE, the $5M IBM Watson AI XPRIZE, the $1.75M Water Abundance XPRIZE and the $1M Anu and Naveen Jain Women’s Safety XPRIZE.
To learn more about XPRIZE, visit www.xprize.org.
To learn more about Visioneering, visit www.xprize.org/visioneering
Phase I: up to 30 all-expenses paid trips to Los Angeles, California
Three eligible contestants per Grand Challenge Area will be selected as Semi-Finalists and will be eligible to receive an all-expenses paid trip to Los Angeles, California to attend the Phase I Design Hackathon on August 10–12, 2018 at the XPRIZE headquarters in Culver City, California (“Hackathon”) where the Semi-Finalists’ Submissions will compete with other submissions to be selected as one of two (2) Finalists in each Grand Challenge Area. At least one (1) Finalist in each Grand Challenge Area will be selected from among the Semi-Finalists. Semi-Finalists will not have the option of receiving the cash equivalent or any other payment in lieu of the all-expenses paid trip to participate in the Hackathon.
If any Semi-Finalist is unable to attend the Hackathon, then they will have the option of appointing a delegate (subject to XPRIZE’s approval) to attend the Hackathon in the Semi-Finalist’s place. If any Semi-Finalist cannot find a delegate, then XPRIZE will try to help find a delegate acceptable to both the Semi-Finalist and XPRIZE. If the Semi-Finalist and XPRIZE are unable to agree on a suitable delegate, then XPRIZE will have the right to unilaterally appoint such a delegate and the Semi-Finalists will no longer be eligible to win any Prize.
Each Semi-Finalist will be required to perpetually, irrevocably and conditionally assign all right title and interest in and to the Semi-Finalist’s submission and the contents thereof to XPRIZE. Failure to execute such an assignment will make the Semi-Finalist ineligible to win any Prize.
Phase II: up to $50,000 total, $10,000 per Grand Challenge Area
Each Semi-Finalists whose submission provides the basis for one of the two (2) competition concepts per Grand Challenge Area selected to move forward as Finalists following the Hackathon will be awarded a Prize of Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00).
To be eligible to win the Grand Prize of Twenty-Five Thousand Dollars ($25,000.00), each Finalist will be required sign and comply with a separate written agreement committing to the following:
- Attend an all-day training for Finalists on August 13, 2018 at the XPRIZE headquarters in Culver City, California (either in person or via an approved delegate);
- Work in collaboration with a team of competition design professionals from Accenture, LLP to help prepare the competition documents and other deliverables specified in the Consulting Agreement between XPRIZE and Accenture, including a summary of background research, a detailed competition overview, draft competition guidelines, a brief marketing plan, an impact/scaling plan, and a high-level budget. It is estimated that this effort will require approximately ten to fifteen (10-15) hours per week from August 14, 2018 to October 17, 2018; and
- Attend the 2018 Visioneers Summit (“Summit”) on October 18–21, 2018 at the Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes, California and prepare, support and deliver (as needed) all required presentations, including an on-stage opening presentation at the beginning of the Summit, a number of “Experiential Room” presentations during the Summit, and a closing presentation at the end of the Summit. All reasonable and approved expenses incurred by the Finalist in connection with attendance at the Summit will be paid by XPRIZE.
All dates and locations specified above are subject to change at XPRIZE’s sole discretion. Failure to collaborate in good faith with Accenture and/or to contribute to the preparation and presentation of the deliverables (as determined by XPRIZE in its sole discretion) will disqualify a contestant from winning the Grand Prize.
Phase III: up to $25,000
At the conclusion of the Summit, one of the ten eligible competition designs will be recognized as the 2018 XPRIZE “Design of the Year.” If the “Design of the Year” is based on a Finalist’s submission, then such Finalist will be awarded the grand prize of Twenty-Five Thousand Dollars ($25,000.00).
All entries will be reviewed July 23rd - 27th by our XPRIZE internal review team. By July 27th, 5 entries per Grand Challenge Area will become semi-finalist contestants to be reviewed by XPRIZE Innovation Board Members. The Innovation Board Members will then determine which 3 finalists will advance to the Design Hackathon.
- All entries must be made in English
- All submission form fields must be completed
All entries that meet these minimum eligibility requirements will then be scored accordingly:
Written Submission: 90%
Within the written submission, equal, one-third weights will be placed on each of the 3 main evaluation criteria:
- Is this a great XPRIZE?
- Will this prize make tremendous impact?
- Does this prize have a high likelihood to launch?
Video Submission: 10%
For the video submission, you will be evaluated on how clearly and succinctly you are able to explain your prize design in an “elevator” pitch, with weight also given to the team’s ability to catalyze a support ecosystem around the prize.
Do you want to make a contribution to research in one of the Grand Challenge Areas? Visit the wiki tab for more information about prizes and how to contribute. Submit your research by June 29th for a chance to win!