Ken Burner
May 23, 2020
10:07 p.m. PDT
edited

PC/104 vs. Arduino

Can anyone comment on any outstanding virtues or faults of one form factor over another for use in the Payloads?
4 Replies

Ken Burner
May 23, 2020
10:43 p.m. PDT
@Ken Burner
I just found one PC/104 advantage, it meets MIL-STD-202.
Tagged: Ken Burner

Ken Burner
May 23, 2020
11 p.m. PDT
@Ken Burner
I just learned that cheap new SMD PC/104 clones don't meet MIL-STD-202.

Think I may go with used originals, if going the PC/104 route, for the first mission. Any thoughts?

Kyla Jeffrey HeroX team
May 27, 2020
9:27 a.m. PDT
Not at this time. Since the vehicle has not been defined, it is premature to comment on precise configurations.

Ken Burner
June 19, 2020
10:50 p.m. PDT
edited
PC/104 is a known platform and would make a great reliable solar powered waypoint/RF repeater type Payload for instance. Wide PN spacing in the silicon substrate allows for lots of comic rays chipping away at it without much degradation in performance.

Android and Apple off the shelf smartphone platforms are great. And hey, any kid can code an app. But, can they survive on the Moon long enough with such narrow PN channels?

Hardening a standard cell phone circuit board would be key to making them survive for the just under 200 hrs. for this Challenge's extended expectations. Then add in the uncertainty of landing at unknown location, i.e. temp and light conditions, does throw a bit of twist into considering "lightweight" platforms.

Faraday caging, Mu-metal shielding works well for shorter lengths of EMR. How well they will perform for cosmic and the even shorter wavelengths, I know little of for now.
Post Your Reply
Let these people know about your message