joekuliev
April 19, 2020
4:43 a.m. PDT

Using quadcopter as an investigator instead of lunar explorer

What if quadcopter will be explorer and lunar rover will be as a charge station for quadcopter? This station may be charged from the sunlight.
6 Replies

Arubaruba
April 21, 2020
2:41 p.m. PDT
Is this a bait?

Jeremiah Landi
April 22, 2020
8:43 a.m. PDT
From the post:

"No. Because there is no atmosphere on the moon, so even if the rotors were turning, they won’t produce any lift,

Turning the rotors will also be a problem because the usual helicopter engines for use on Earth are designed to burn the fuel in oxygen from the outside air. No atmosphere means you’d need a new type of engine too.

Rockets work in space, or on the Moon because they don’t need to rely on atmospheric oxygen to burn the fuel, but effectively carry their own as part of the rocket fuel."

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-fly-a-helicopter-on-the-moon

joekuliev
April 22, 2020
11:09 a.m. PDT
Yes , it is possible. I have googled and found this:

https://qz.com/469334/nasa-is-working-on-drones-that-can-fly-in-space/

NASA is working on drones that can use cold-gas jets instead of propellers. Using drones will make exploration really easy because the drone will not need to avoid obstacles.

Ken Burner
July 8, 2020
12:24 p.m. PDT
Whatever quadjet system that can fly on Earth would fly 6 times longer on the Moon. Or 1/6 of this and that, compared to Earth's gravity.

Ken Burner
July 8, 2020
12:37 p.m. PDT
edited
I imagine one could easily make a CO2 cartridge quadjet drone. Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control of the 4 exhausts for the 6 axis of flight. Craft's mass would be mostly fuel tanks, perhaps 10% more for airframe and payload. I would guess it would fly for maybe 30 secs. or so on Earth. I did no math on it, yet.

Ken Burner
July 8, 2020
3:18 p.m. PDT
edited
I think a 12 gram 900J CO2 cartridge would last about 15 sec. on Earth in hover with 100% energy transfer and 10% weight added to the 56 g cylinder (not factoring the for the mass lost to 44 grams empty weight). So on the Moon about 90 seconds hover time. Mass air flow and velocity probably could be managed with an orifice and a PWM valve.
Post Your Reply
Let these people know about your message