HELP MAKE RAS AL KHAIMAH THE WORLD'S LEADING ADVENTURE TOURISM DESTINATION
The George Washington University International Institute of Tourism Studies and the Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority are Co-Sponsoring a Contest for participants from higher education, outdoor recreation organizations or sporting groups. Winner Receives a Cash Prize of US $5,000 and Free Trip to the United Arab Emirates
**CLICK HERE TO REGISTER YOUR TEAM BY APRIL 30, 2018**
Mile-long zip-lining, desert mountain biking, Bedouin camping, Arabian sea wakeboarding. Ras Al Khaimah is a hub of outdoor adventure activities. The northernmost United Arab Emirate offers unparalleled—and unspoiled—opportunities for thrill-seeking visitors. But beyond the region, adventure travelers are largely unfamiliar with the destination’s exciting offerings. To change that, the Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority and The George Washington University International Institute of Tourism Studies are enlisting students, youth and millennials in a marketing challenge aimed at attracting more thrill-seeking vacationers.
Why Adventure Tourism Events?
Because relatively small-scale adventure sporting events can produce major economic benefits for host communities. Not only do they attract contestants, but the infrastructure required to support the events draw other adventure-seeking travelers and local people.
Develop a strategy for an adventure sports event that will bring adventure travel enthusiasts to Ras Al Khaimah and raise its profile as a leading adventure destination. Examples include triathlons, endurance road races and desert marathons.
A US$5,000 cash prize and free trip for two participants to Ras Al Khaimah. The winning team will present their proposal at a Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority event celebrating World Tourism Day on September 27, 2018.
Teams from higher education institutions, outdoor recreation organizations or sports groups will develop strategies designed to engage sponsors or planners of a single or series of adventure sports competitions. In addition to identifying a possible event, participants should submit ideas for how the event could attract media attention, adventure and sport influencers, and event contestants and spectators. Proposals should also include the following:
- The goal of hosting the event
- Description of one or more signature adventure events that could be hosted on a recurring basis
- Sponsorship opportunities
- Social media strategy and influencers
- Earned and paid media placements in targeted publications and online sites
Proposal should include two formats:
- Video pitch in under three minutes
- Written description of competition strategy (5,000 words max.)
The written and video pitch should include the following:
- The idea for the adventure sports competition
- An explanation of why it will work based on market research
- Specific action plan and budget
- Metrics to measure success
- Anticipated results
- Click "Follow the Challenge" above to be notified of any status updates to the challenge.
- Click "Yes Sign Me Up!" above to register for the challenge. You will be notified of any status updates and be able to create an entry to the challenge when it opens.
- Click on the "Share" button or social media icons above to share this challenge with your friends, your family, or anyone you know who has a passion for discovery.
- Leave a comment in our Comments Thread to join the conversation, ask questions or connect with other innovators.
Who can participate:
The Challenge is open to participants from university undergraduate or graduate programs, outdoor recreation organizations or sports groups based anywhere in the world. You may enter as a team of two to four people. Participants should obtain support from a mentor, who may be a university instructor or a tourism practitioner. Contestants must comply with all the terms of the Challenge as defined in the Challenge-Specific Agreement.
Selection of Winner:
Winning team will be awarded a cash prize of US $5,000 and free trip to Ras Al Khaimah for two participants to attend the Ras Al Khaimah World Tourism Day Celebration on September 27th. (Trip includes airfare, hotel, and meals).
In case of a tie, the winner will be selected at the discretion of the judging panel.
Registration and Submissions:
All teams must be registered by April 30, 2018 to be eligible. No registrations will be accepted after this date and no changes to teams may be made after this date.
All team submission materials must be submitted online on or before July 31, 2018. No submissions will be accepted after this date. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted. All submissions must be received online, via the Challenge website, and all uploads can be in PDF format only. Submission reporting requirements are detailed in judging.
Challenge Guidelines are subject to change. Registered competitors will receive notification when changes are made. However, we highly encourage you to visit the Challenge site often to review updates.