bob bruninga
Sept. 16, 2017
12:40 p.m. PDT

Are three 1U's excluded?

The rules do not allow anything below a 1.5U, but does that mean each, or total? If a proposed mission is three data relay cubesats, all 1U that are designed to drift into a constellation, is this not permitted?
5 Replies

fulygan fulyganoff
Sept. 17, 2017
5:58 a.m. PDT
@bob bruninga
how correctly to understand the conditions - you can less than 0.1U - if it will work for 2 years

Hugo Shelley
Sept. 18, 2017
6:03 a.m. PDT
@bob bruninga
For a 3U cubesat, the rules allow any payload that is compatible with a 1.5U volume (i.e. the payload can be any size up to 1.5U)

For a 6U cubesat, the rules allow any payload that is compatible with a 4U volume (i.e. the payload can be any size up to 4U)

There are no categories for 1U or 2U cubesats, so it looks like these are excluded. If you need a constellation of cubesats I’s suggest that each satellite in your constellation is 3U (or 6U) in size.

Paul Musille moderator
Sept. 18, 2017
6:16 a.m. PDT
@bob bruninga
Hi Bob,
I just wanted to chime in here to confirm what others have been saying - a 3U cubesat can have a payload of any size up to 1.5U). For the bounds of this challenge, if you'd like to propose a constellation, it would have to be multiple 3U cubesats (each carrying a payload up to 1.5U) working together.

Paul Musille moderator
Sept. 18, 2017
6:33 a.m. PDT
@bob bruninga
Hi Bob,
Here is some additional insight about your question:

1U payloads on 3 separate CubeSats acting as a data relay is a valid concept. We are not looking for CubeSat concepts, we're looking for CubeSat payload concepts. Therefore the concepts do not need to include capabilities that would typically be provided by a host satellite, only the mission payload capabilities and concept. The concept can describe how a constellation of payloads would perform, yet be demonstratable with fewer vehicles and within the shorter timeline.

Munna Kabir
July 8, 2021
10:49 p.m. PDT
Thanks for sharing the article, and more importantly, your personal experienceMin https://kodi.software/ dfully using our emotions as data about our inner state and knowing when it’s better to de-escalate by taking a time out are great tools. Appreciate you reading and sharing your story, since I can certainly relate and I think others can too
Post Your Reply
Let these people know about your message