The Parity Project Innovation Challenge is being launched by Base 11 and Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity a.k.a The Boulé (the first and oldest African American Greek-letter fraternal organization) as a key component of their partnership in the Parity Project, a national call to action to achieve Parity for Black America by 2030.
Though African Americans constitute 13.4% of the U.S. population, they are grossly underrepresented in the areas that create the most significant wealth in America and are overrepresented in the percentage of the poor and prison population. Here are the current stats. African Americans make up:
- 4% of High School AP Students Scoring 3pts+
- 9% of all STEM Degrees.
- 5% of all STEM Jobs.
- 5% of all Physicians
- 1% of Fortune 500 CEO’s
- 8.6% of Fortune 500 Corporate Directors
- 3% of Venture Capital / Private Equity General Partners
- 1% of Startup Founders with Venture Capital investment
- 22.7% of the Poor in America
- 37.9% of the Prison Population
Sigma Pi Phi and Base 11 have committed their partnership to achieving a minimum of 13.4% African American representation in the following three areas by 2030:
- STEM Jobs in America
- STEM Degrees
- Venture Capital funded Entrepreneurs
The Parity Project Innovation Challenge (to be held annually) will leverage the power of the crowd to source game changing ideas and proposals from Boule-Base 11 Fellow candidates, that if implemented have the potential of accelerating the achievement of 13.4% African American representation in STEM jobs, STEM degrees, or Venture Capital funded entrepreneurs by 2030. Winners of the Parity Project Innovation Challenge will be awarded cash prices and once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to present their proposals before influential corporate partners, investors, and government leaders who could help fund and implement their proposals.
If this sounds exciting, here are the next steps you need to participate:
1. Create a HeroX account for yourself and “Follow” this challenge page to make sure you receive all of our updates.
2. Next, join the Next Frontier Initiative and apply to the Boulé-Base 11 Fellows Program through Base 11 Digital.
To learn more about the The Boulé, Base 11, and the link between the Fellows Program and this challenge, jump over to the "About the Parity Project Innovation Challenge" tab.