This graphic design challenge is all about visually capturing the essence of big ideas, innovation and creativity to help represent an upcoming competition sponsored by NBC Entertainment on the HeroX.com platform.
NBC is running an internal competition to identify their most forward-thinking, imaginative, and fearlessly individual employees. NBC has a rich history around its chromatic peacock logo, as well as many contemporary manifestations of the rainbow theme, which represents the historic breakthrough of color television. Let the spectral color scheme and peacock act as context for inspiration, but not a hard guideline by any means. As such, participants are encouraged to take full artistic license and originality will score big points! You do not need to be affiliated with NBC to participate.
- Target audience: NBC Entertainment employees, and more specifically, The graphic should vibe with “disruptive,” rabble-rousing personality types.
- What we're trying to communicate: Our audience is the workforce of NBC Entertainment. The challenge this image will be used for is asking them to show their passion and individuality, to go beyond their day job role. Essentially, the challenge is asking what makes them who they are -- specifically their more creative and innovative traits.
- Brand recognition: NBC peacock logo is available for use in this image and could be helpful for immediate recognition. It is not required to use or modify the peacock or any other NBC official logos.
- Text Placeholder: Option to show us where a title for the competition might go using the placeholder text “NBC Innovation Challenge”. This is not required.
1st Place $750
2nd Place $250
3rd Place $100
Preliminary Feedback: The first 20 designs submitted prior to May 15th will receive direct feedback. Any single competitor can only receive feedback on a maximum of two designs. Submit early to ensure your design makes the cut.
Multiple Entries: You may submit an unlimited number of entries to this challenge.
Public Submissions: The JPEG/PNG version of your image will be publicly visible on the challenge page upon submission.
NBC Entertainment Logo: Download here.
*Ensure you review the challenge timeline carefully*
- Width to height ratio of 1280 pixels wide x 720 pixels high
- 1280 pixels is the minimum width that will be accepted for your image.
- 4000 pixels is the maximum width that will be accepted for your image.
Your entry must contain both:
- Image in JPEG or PNG format.
- Layered source files saved as either i) Adobe Photoshop .PSD file ii) Adobe Illustrator .AI file ii) .SVG file
Stock artwork specifications
- All commercial stock artwork must be from iStockPhoto.com.
- The watermark must be visible.
- All stock artwork must be documented and linked in the submission form.
Open source specifications
- All open source artwork must meet the following guidelines:
- Available for use with modification
- No attribution required
- All open source artwork must be documented and linked in the submission form
Brazen, brilliant, bizarre, surreal, abstract are all positive attributes. The rainbow/spectrum of color, the peacock logo, and other NBC-related iconography are ideally utilized in an original way. Should speak to an audience of generative/introspective/finger-on-the-pulse futurists inside of NBC.
Principles of Design
Use of balance, contrast, emphasis, movement, pattern, rhythm, unity/variety.
Elements of Design
Use of line, shape, color, value, texture, form, and space.
Full points if the artistic concept stands completely on its own, is less than 1/3rd existing logos/NBC imagery or diverges from a predictable path.
Logo tied in/ brand recognition
NBC is one of the most storied brands in US history, so a little brand acknowledgement can go a long way.
Note: The JPEG or PNG version of your image will be public on the challenge page once submitted. You can view all submitted entries here.
You do not need to be affiliated with NBC to enter this challenge.
Submissions must be made in English. All challenge-related communication will be in English.
To be eligible to compete, you must comply with all the terms of the challenge as defined in the Challenge-Specific Agreement.
Registration and Submissions:
Submissions must be made online (only), via upload to the HeroX.com website, on or before 4:59 pm EDT on May 18th, 2017. No late submissions will be accepted.
Intellectual Property Rights:
As detailed in the Challenge-Specific Agreement, all intellectual property rights will remain with the innovator. HeroX has the right to use any and all Submissions for future advertising, promotion and publicity. Please ensure you review the full details in the Challenge-Specific Agreement which is made available upon registration.
Selection of Winners:
Based on the winning criteria, prizes will be awarded per the Judging Criteria section above. In the case of a tie, the winner(s) will be selected based on the highest votes from the Judges.
- By participating in the challenge, each competitor agrees to submit only their original idea. Any indication of "copying" amongst competitors is grounds for disqualification.
- All applications will go through a process of due diligence; any application found to be misrepresentative, plagiarized, or sharing an idea that is not their own will be automatically disqualified.
- All ineligible applicants will be automatically removed from the competition with no recourse or reimbursement.
- No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win the competition.
- Void wherever restricted or prohibited by law.