Robert Macmillan

Submission format

Will it be possible to submit sections 1 through 3 and sections 5 through 7 in a single PDF document? This would allow us to use navigation tools throughout the submission, referencing additional detail in the Supplemental Information.

5 Replies

Barb Sivek
@Robert Macmillan
Unfortunately that would require restructuring our online submission format - and would impact the consistency of submissions that we will need to review. Please plan to use the submission form as indicated - and use the supplemental section to provide additional information.
Robert Macmillan
Today we started entering our submission and ran into some surprises. I am hoping that I have misunderstood much of this and you will be able to correct me.

Firstly, it seems that all text boxes in the entire submission form are plain text; no formatting permitted. This means no headings, no font options, no bold, no underline, no spacing, no tables, etc. This looks like a text processor of 30 years ago; please tell me I have missed something. We would like to make our submission as readable as possible for the judges.

Next, it seems that images and text are entered completely separately in different boxes. There is no ability to insert an image in the appropriate part of the text to enhance readability. Is that correct?

Images cannot actually be entered in any part of the submission form. All boxes are plain text boxes. The only way to insert an image is to enter a URL referring to a location of the image. The URL is plain text and so judges will be unable to click on the URL to see the image. They must copy the text into a browser. Is that correct?

The box for images seems to allow for only one URL to be entered. If any answer includes more than one image there is no way to enter them unless they are combined into a single image. Is that correct?

Finally, the character limits for the answers in Section 3: Submission Questions are now 10,000 characters per bullet of the question. For example, the limit for question 1 which has five bullets is now really 50,000 characters. Is that correct?
Barb Sivek
@Robert Macmillan
Thank you for your questions. We've discussed your concerns with the HeroX platform team and it has been confirmed that the submission format is plain text - so there is not an ability to underline or bold. However you will be able to do so in the narrative or supplement which you can submit along with your submission.
As far as the images go the responses are quite
readable to the judges as the section and question headers are
automatically formatted. The image that is inserted as part of the question
will be viewed directly below the text, so again, there are no readability
issues for judges. All hyperlinks will be clickable and/or all images will
be pulled directly in-line to their submission when viewed.
And yes, we provided plenty of space for each of the submission question bullet items. But we would like to encourage the competitors to be judicious about the amount of information provided. Clear, concise responses are most desirable for the review effort. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Barry Hieb
@Barb Sivek
Length limit confirmation,
We are preparing to submit our proposal but need confirmation on one point concerning the submission questions. Looking at the submission tool we see a 10,000 character limit for each bullet of the question, not for the entire question. So, for example, question 3 on support for privacy and anonymity has 7 sub-bullets and therefore the total answer could be up to 70,000 characters? I know we need to emphasize terseness and keep our answers as short as possible but we do have that much space if it is really needed?
Barb Sivek
@Barry Hieb
Yes, you've assessed this correctly- there are 10,000 characters allotted per question on the submission form.
Let these people know about your message