The Bureau of Reclamation has selected five projects to each receive $75,000 through phase one of the Guardians of the Reservoir Challenge. The winning submissions are:
- Wing Marine Team composed of Doug Thompson, John Crowson, Mel Friedman, Peter Crossland, Bryan Longhurst, James Coats, and Joel Friedman, Texas, A Cure for Ailing Reservoirs.
- Nicholas LaBry and Kenneth LaBry of Prometheus Innovations, LLC., and Bartolomeo Mongiardino of Hydro Maintenance Service, Louisiana, The 3 D DREDGER™: Complete Sediment Management.
- Dr. Peter Murdoch and Dr. John Newport, Pennsylvania, Air Bubble Suction Pipe with Water Recirculation.
- Baha Abulnaga, Washington, High Volume Deep Dredging for Low Water De-silting.
- Dr. Michael Detering, Laura Backes, and Joana Kueppers, Germany, Sediment Continuity and Restoration.
Thank you to everyone who participated in Phase 1 of the Guardians of the Reservoir Challenge. We received over 90 submissions and the judging panel was impressed with the quality and caliber of the submitted proposals.
The Phase 2 development period is approximately 15 months long, with a mid-point check-in during August 2021. In addition to development funds won from Phase 1, Phase 2 teams will also have up to 40 hours of access to subject matter experts. At the end of the Phase 2 period, each team will submit a report and up to 3 of the top-performing teams will advance to Phase 3 and will each receive an additional $25,000 to support travel and associated costs with participation in the Phase 3 large scale demonstration.
Congratulations once again to our Phase 1 Winners!