“My life goal is to positively impact the lives of underserved & improve the well-being of the needy”
M Arifur Rahman
Chief Executive Officer, Hawai’i Innovation Laboratory
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Hawai'i Pacific University
Postdoctoral Fellow, Cornell Tech. Cornell University
Affiliate Graduate Faculty, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa
Telephone: 808-308-3275, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Education and Training:
Bangladesh Naval Academy Naval Science BS 2002
Military Institute of science & Technology Electrical Engineering BS 2006
University of Hawai’i at Manoa Electrical Engineering Ph.D. 2018
University of Hawai’i at Manoa Renewable Energy Post Doc. 2019
Cornell University Runway startup Postdoctoral fellow 2022
Research and Professional Experience:
Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Hawai’i Innovation Lab, Honolulu, Feb 2020 to present
Postdoctoral Fellow, Hawaii Natural Energy Institute, U. Hawaii at Manoa, Sep. 1209 to Aug 2020
Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, U. Hawaii at Manoa, Apr. 18 to Aug. 19
Senior Electrical Engineer, Oceanit Laboratories Inc., Honolulu, HI, Nov. 18 to Apr. 19
Research Assistant, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, U. Hawaii at Manoa, 2014 to 2018
Senior Electrical Engineer, Bangladesh Navy, 2006 to 2013
Assistant Electrical Engineer, Bangladesh Navy, 2000 to 2006
1. M. A. Rahman, K. Elassy, L. R. Roose, W. A. Shiroma, and A. T. Ohta "A Lightweight, Low-Cost Liquid-Metal Personal Cooling System for Prolonged Cooling" In Digest of Technical Papers IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, Jan. 2020.
2. A. M. Watson, T. F. Leary, K. S. Elassy, A. G. Mattamana, M. A. Rahman, W. A. Shiroma, A. T. Ohta, and C. E. Tabor, “Physically reconfigurable RF liquid electronics via Laplace barriers,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 4881-4889, 2019.
3. Elassy, Kareem S., M. A. Rahman, Nicholas S. Yama, Wayne A. Shiroma, and Aaron T. Ohta. "Complex Permittivity of NaOH Solutions Used in Liquid-Metal Circuits," IEEE Access, vol. 7, no. 19087469, pp. 150150- 150156, 2019
4. M. A. Rahman, W. A. Shiroma, and A. T. Ohta, “Liquid-metal capacitors with a 42:1 tuning ratio,” Electronics Letters, 2017. DOI: 10.1049/el.2017.0635
5. M. A. Rahman, R. C. Gough, M. M. Moorefield, G. B. Zhang, W. A. Shiroma, and A. T. Ohta, “Electrically actuated liquid metal for reconfigurable RF devices,” IEEE International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems (ICWITS) and Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES), pp. 1-2, Mar. 2016.
6. Watson, Alexander M., Kareem Elassy, Thomas Leary, M. A. Rahman, Aaron Ohta, Wayne Shiroma, and Christopher E. Tabor. "Enabling Reconfigurable All-Liquid Microcircuits via Laplace Barriers to Control Liquid Metal." In IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium digest. 2019.
1. M Arifur Rahman (first inventor), Kareem Elassy, Wayne Shiroma, Aaron Ohta “Liquid Metal Hybrid Cooling Garment,” US patent application no. 62846593, 2019.
2. Kareem Elassy, M Arifur Rahman, Wayne Shiroma, Aaron Ohta “Low-Cost Reflective Coating for Deformable Mirrors”, disclosed to UH TTR, 2019.
• Senior Member, IEEE
• Member, Electronic Product and Services Board, IEEE Robotics & Automation Soc.
• Vice Chair, IEEE MTT-s Hawaii chapter
• Chair, Young Professional (YP), Hawaii chapter
• Member, IEEE Power & Electronics Society (PES)
Engineering community service:
• Editorial board member, Micromachines journal
Reviewer for Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Sensors, Micromachines, Advance Biosystem, IET Circuits, Devices & Systems., Journal of Biophotonics, IEEE Nanomed 2019, IEEE Nano., Robotics, MDPI, Journal of Micro Bio- Robotics
Broadening participation of underrepresented groups:
• Native Hawaiian Science and Engineering Program Graduate Student mentor
• Judge, and mentor, Hawaii State Science Fair 2014- 2019.
• Mentor, k-12 student at district level schools.
Identification of Potential Conflicts of Interest or Bias in Selection of Reviews: Collaborators and Co-editors:
Fan, Qihui, Beijing U. Chemical Tech. (China); Garcia, Maurice,U. California, San Francisco; Gough, Ryan, North Star Scientific Corp.; Hu, Wenqi Max Planck Inst. Intelligent Syst. (Germany); Huang, Thomas, Pacific IVF Institute; Leary, Thomas; Mattamana, Aji; Quach, Tony; Tabor, Christopher; Watson, Alexander, Air Force Research Laboratory
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Advisors: Graduate and Postdoctoral Advisors:
• University of Hawai’i at Manoa: Aaron Ohta, Wayne Shiroma, and Leon Roose
• Chiba Institute of Technology: Zhidong Wang
Personally Identifiable Information: https://www.linkedin.com/in/arif-rahman1538/