Michael Raftery

Wave Power - Don't Let it Just Pass Under Your WEC

If you do not make ocean waves do work, 90+% of the power will simply pass under or around your prime mover or data buoy. See how to make waves do work: www.surfwec.com
Modified on April 22, 2020, 6:57 p.m. PDT
8 Replies

Ramuel Maramara
Correct. One way of roughly finding out if your device is working well is to look at the waves after they have passed your device. 100% means no waves in the back!

See Dr Salters work below
Modified on May 12, 2020, 9:14 a.m. PDT
Attachments

Michael Raftery
Correct Ramuel,
I have known of Professor Salter's work since 1992. The secret is creating a WEC which can convert seas and swell to plunging waves and get as much kinetic into the PTO from plunging waves as possible. US Patent 8093736 "Shoaling Feature"

Ramuel Maramara
Me and my team met Dr Salter in Scotland a couple of years back. He is still very sharp and a true engineer. We discussed designs and he is working on a VERY large tidal turbine. Anyway, he said, the key is the water particle motion, the energy transfer mechanism that makes waves. He said, his WEC simply "follows" this motion. Any kind of turbulence introduced will create vortices that waste wave energy.

Michael Raftery
I agree with the statement "the key is the water particle motion". Picture yourself tethered to a 100-meter by 100-meter square platform 10 miles from shore by 4 spring reels. 2 meter-high waves are passing over the platform as the platform is 30 meters below the surface. You gently bob up and down. Now we raise the entire platform to a depth of 6 meters and you begin to get slammed by 3 meter-high plunging waves. Professor Salter did not grasp the importance of this process during our conversation.

Michael Raftery
The process of being "pitch-poled" in an 18-foot Zodiac inflatable boat during a surf entry as a member of US Navy Underwater Construction Team - Two gave me a visceral understanding of this process in 1990.

Michael Raftery
As I loathe cliches in their common form, it does not take the sharpest bulb in the shed or dullest tool in the box to see the difference in the kinetic energy available from seas or swell and plunging waves.

Michael Raftery
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." Samuel Langhorne Clemens who may prefer to be quoted as Mark Twain

Michael Raftery
The most effective way to advance the wave energy conversion industry will be to lash "resource assessment experts" to variable depth platforms and apply blunt-force-trauma to said individuals until their morale and assessment skills improve.
Post Your Reply
Let these people know about your message