Deleted
July 7, 2018
2:47 p.m. PDT

Travel Issue

What if I get invited to attend the Design Hackathon this August 10 - 12 and I still don't have a passport? Is my prize still qualified to move to phase 11?
8 Replies

Joseph
July 9, 2018
6:03 p.m. PDT
Nowadays, US Visas take incredibly long to get cleared. The time gap between HeroX's shortlisting announcement and time for departure is less than two weeks. Without some sort of push from HeroX to the concerned authorities, it will be impossible - unless the aspirants already have existing visas.

Deleted
July 9, 2018
7:17 p.m. PDT
@Joseph
Thanks for the info!

Ronnie
July 9, 2018
9 p.m. PDT
@Dylan Cohen
This is really concerning. How does one secure a visa if they're selected, when the announcement and hackathon are so close together! Joseph has a valid point.

shyamala Sambasivam
July 17, 2018
8:15 p.m. PDT
Hi I live in India, what if I get selected for Visa, Can anyone sponsor my visa? How to travel any guides please

Deleted
July 17, 2018
8:23 p.m. PDT
@shyamala Sambasivam
Post your question in "Ask Your Questions Here!" thread.

Dylan Cohen moderator
July 18, 2018
10:08 a.m. PDT
@shyamala Sambasivam
Hello,
For an in-depth answer to your question please see the Visa Update (link: https://www.herox.com/xprizevisioneers-2018-design-challenge/update/2152)
The short answer is that unfortunately, it is unlikely you will be able to secure a Visa in-between the announcement of the winners and Hackathon. As a result, we recommend recruiting to your team someone from a country that does not require a Visa to visit the US. There are threads to help with this at the top of the forum.

Joseph
July 22, 2018
7:21 a.m. PDT
Can XPrize give an invitation to people who need to prepone their US visa interview dates. An invitation from XPrize can help in such a case. It need not carry any financial obligation on the part of XPrize. Just an invitation, which the invitee may not exercise in case of not being shortlisted.

Joseph
July 29, 2018
9:22 p.m. PDT
My US Visa interview date has been rescheduled to today and now on the way to the consulate. No harm in having a US visa. It normally gets cleared a few days after the interview. The consulate is apparently extremely cooperative in genuine cases and the Global Challenges certainly fall in that category.
Post Your Reply
Let these people know about your message