Dylan Cohen moderator
June 27, 2018
10:19 a.m. PDT

Ask Your Questions Here!

Hi Contestants!

We hope your prize designs are going well. We know that the prize design process can be a long and challenging one, and we want to provide all the help we can. If you have any questions about the competition or the prize design process, please feel free to ask them here. Our staff will try and provide guidance in short order.

As a final note, we will be holding events and releasing updates in the coming days and weeks to help you refine your ideas. More details will be forthcoming shortly, so please look forward to it!
97 Replies

John Doe
July 11, 2018
3:13 p.m. PDT
deleted
Comment Removed

Deleted
July 12, 2018
3:42 p.m. PDT
@Dylan Cohen
Hi! Just in case I am a semi finalist and really wanted to travel in US this august but I don't have the funding to get an expedited visa, can your team provide the funding to get one?

Dylan Cohen moderator
July 12, 2018
3:59 p.m. PDT
@Rolly
Hi Rolly,
I'm sorry to say that we cannot provide funding for an expedited visa. Based on our research, even an expedited visa would be difficult or impossible to acquire in most countries in the time between the announcement of the winners and the beginning of Hackathon. For this reason we simply can't recommend or financially support an expedited visa for semi-finalists. Again, we will make every effort to enable everyone on a team to have a virtual presence at Hackathon, and we will do everything we can to enable an in-person experience at the Visioneering Summit in October.

Deleted
July 12, 2018
4:18 p.m. PDT

Deleted
July 12, 2018
4:44 p.m. PDT
@Dylan Cohen
...because I dont have the necessary funding at present.

george schrader
July 12, 2018
8:32 p.m. PDT
I am in hopes of developing an interest in what serms to be an opportunity to lucratively begin modernizing the distribution infrastructures.
I have been privately over the last few decades hunting for an understanding in if there might be an opportunity to accomplish transport in a manner of forms and processes which are more ecologically and environmentally friendly.
After studying highways and 100s of alternative transport designes.
I learned a number of very diverse things.
That our distribution infrastructures have the greatest influence. These are the things whose efficiencies in our availability of time determining the very limits of what a society can and cannot reasonably accomplish.
the open air processes are highly restricted and not even close to being respective to our existing technological capabilitues.
I have been amusing myself to think what changes could reliably occur
IF the open air distribution process if today were to become accomplished in the secure and controlled environment of a connected network of structure.

It did pose itself as being by far the most ecologically and environmentally sound way of achieving them.
However when i begsn opening these processes to begin utilizing that full array of existing technological abilities.
I was amazed to find that this enclosure thing was too the cheapest most efficient and capable way they could ever hope to be.
The resulting numbers of efficiencies and increased abilities that will very reasonably and reliably come about truly Defy the imagination.
I am asking only for the accomplishment in an acurate feasibility analysis study. As it will speak for itself as being a lucrative opportunity to achieve a great and positive change.
Did you know the USA according to the DOT 2010 highway study.
Spent $200 billion that year on highways and estimated accidents on highways at $300.
Unfortunately failed to mention the 1.7 trillion energy cost to get the fuel tax of $200 billion, in order to incur the $300 billion in accidents.
Understand while we may benefit enormously from the ability to transport. Non of these costs are even necessary. Not the short lived high energy and resource consuming highways, the accidents or the energy dependency.
These things will not even ocurr in a enclosed process. And the cost is in providing a smaller and very limited undertaking in permanent long lived structure and technological investment. Whose cost in an infrastructural investment suggest itself to be a few percents of today.

It will take decades to replace last centuries infrastructures and when these much needed efficiencies begin being realized. It will only incteasr thr demand on energy in order for manufacturing to begin serving the dramatically increasing modern population.

Its a win win situation that speakes to me in justba few decades of bringing in that whole of our humanity into a modern level of well beings.

Its laying there. Anybody got the stomach to even imagine global equality!

Geo Schrader 850 527 7612
Confidential information

Deleted
July 12, 2018
8:43 p.m. PDT
@george schrader
In our modern day, everybody is equal in invitation to do any thing but not equal in opportunity because of different laws and regulations governing in each country or system.

Ronnie
July 12, 2018
10:38 p.m. PDT
@Dylan Cohen
Can't we just livestream our presentations and attend the whole hackathon via Zoom or skype? A private video conference between only the selected members would be just perfect. You could have a camera in the back of the room livestreaming the whole time. C'mon Dylan, it's 2018, we might not have the ANA Avatar yet, but surely we can make do with current tech for just attending events?!! The travel issue is a major letdown for most of the international applicants.

Deleted
July 12, 2018
10:41 p.m. PDT
@Ronnie
Good idea!

Dylan Cohen moderator
July 13, 2018
9:25 a.m. PDT
@Ronnie
We will absolutely be doing everything we can to make virtual participants feel as though they are there in person with Zoom calls, Skype, and potentially one or two other things we are still looking into. However, between the number of people at Hackathon and the tight scheduling breakdowns are certain, and there will be people in attendance that we'd rather not keep waiting. For this reason, you need a delegate physically there to make sure your presentation goes off without a hitch. If you want that person to simply say exactly what you tell them, write down feedback, and go discuss it with you through video conferencing that is between you and the delegate. I don't recommend it, because any new person can be a valuable resource, but it is an option. Essentially, I believe that presentations are the only part of Hackathon where a physical presence is mandatory and we will hopefully be able to enable (but cannot guarantee) a virtual presence throughout the event.

We understand this is a disappointment to international contestants who are not in one of the 38 Visa Waiver Program countries. Unfortunately, the US government controls the amount of time it takes to receive a Visa and our hands are tied.

Benson P. Lee
July 13, 2018
10:16 a.m. PDT
Dylan, A question re the video. My passion is about the achievability of the audacious solution. It really starts to escalate when I think about the odds against us and the chance to upset conventions and disbeliefs. But it's difficult to share this passion in a video without sharing (just a little bit ! of) how the (seemingly) impossible can be possible. Any guidance on how to script the video (or examples) would be greatly appreciated.

Dylan Cohen moderator
July 13, 2018
10:28 a.m. PDT
@Benson P. Lee
Hi Benson,
The purpose of the video is to make sure you can communicate your design in a succinct and engaging fashion. We would love to see your passion for the subject and some of your ideas for how it will make the impossible possible. It sounds as though you have a great set up for a video and just need to get a camera to capture you as you talk about it.

To help you frame this a little, the video is a essentially an elevator pitch, with the difference that you are introducing your prize design rather than yourself. Many of the same ideas will still apply. If you just google "Elevator Pitch" you will likely find any number of examples that are similar in format to what we're looking for.

Hope this helps!

Deleted
July 13, 2018
5:04 p.m. PDT
@Dylan Cohen
Can we, the potential semi-finalists outside U.S., ask your team to refer us to individual that can join our team to represent our design this coming Hackathon in August if ever we ourselves are not able to recruit a delegate to represent our design?

Deleted
July 13, 2018
5:31 p.m. PDT
@Dylan Cohen
I posted a recruitment notice in your "Teams looking for Hackathon Delegate" thread yesterday, and no message so far.

Salma Ben Hamouda
July 15, 2018
11:48 a.m. PDT
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if as a team, we are allowed to paticipate to more than a challenge area.
Thank you.

Dylan Cohen moderator
July 16, 2018
10:11 a.m. PDT
@Salma Ben Hamouda
Hi Salma,
Teams are allowed participate in more than one challenge area. However, since we need people present to represent every idea in Hackathon, we will not pick a team as a winner in more than one area. For this reason, you might find it a better use of your time to really polish up a single submission.
Hope this helps!

Dylan Cohen moderator
July 16, 2018
10:15 a.m. PDT
@Rolly
Hi Rolly,
We do encourage you to find your own delegates simply because then you have more time to bring them up to speed on your design. That said, if the semi-finalists were unable to find a delegate,we will work with them to find a solution. We're not going to help look for delegates before semi-finalists are announced because there are simply too many teams for that to be feasible.

Deleted
July 16, 2018
11:09 a.m. PDT
@Dylan Cohen
Hi Dylan! I would like to emphasize your statement about "polishing your idea to a single solution" and "not picking up winner in more than one area", which are contradicting to the given areas of the challenge. For example, Feeding the Next Billion and Lifting Farmers Out of Poverty are compatible with each other. For this reason, if you have an idea that can increase the harvest of farmers you are increasing the food supply and food reserve of the community so you are feeding billions of people and lifting farmers out of poverty at the same time. But since you will not pick a team as winner in more than one area, what area are you going to focus on? Feeding the Next Billion or Lifting Farmers Out of Poverty? This is the situation of my idea so I have chosen to submit in two areas in one submission. Please clarify.

MIRSANDA STANIC, MD.PhD
July 16, 2018
1:14 p.m. PDT
Hi there. My question is: Why are you strictly concentrated on these 5 specific topics which are in one or another way connected with disasters. If you want to deal with disasters you should think about the issues which are also part of disasters, like epidemic diseases, intoxication in the cities, and alike?

Deleted
July 16, 2018
1:27 p.m. PDT
@MIRSANDA STANIC, MD.PhD
I agree with you. But the video and guidelines they provided is focused in natural disasters only so they probably are not motivated to solve plague or epidemic disasters other than natural disasters at present.
Post Your Reply
Let these people know about your message