menu
PAOLO TARALLO
Oct. 27, 2017
10:35 a.m. PDT

Material and cross section of a turbine blade.

I'd need to know the following:
a) which material (metal or not metal) are the blades made of; if metal the kind of metal would be a useful information although not a compelling one.
b) are the blades hollow ? Probably they are, but I need to be sure about it.
c) the solution you're expecting is to be embedded just in foreseeable new plants or is some trove expected to be addable in existing plants?
16 Replies

Liz Treadwell HeroX team
Oct. 30, 2017
1:38 p.m. PDT
@PAOLO TARALLO

Thanks for your question! The NextEra team will have a reply for you this week.

All the best,
Liz
HeroX Challenge Success

PAOLO TARALLO
Nov. 22, 2017
2:15 p.m. PST
@Liz Treadwell
Hi Liz, has this challenge vanished ??

The best,
Paolo

Liz Treadwell HeroX team
Nov. 22, 2017
3 p.m. PST
@PAOLO TARALLO
No, the challenge is still running. I'm also still waiting on answers to your questions from the NextEra team. Thanks so much for your continued patience and I sincerely apologize for the delay!

Deleted
Dec. 4, 2017
2:39 p.m. PST
I am making a prototype for the challenge. I have a good start, Should i continue or has the challenge been canceled?
Jeff

Liz Treadwell HeroX team
Dec. 4, 2017
3:05 p.m. PST
@Birdman
I can confirm that the challenge has not been cancelled. I received an update from the NextEra team that they will be providing answers to everyone's questions this week. Thanks so much for your patience!

NextEra Energy Resources moderator
Dec. 18, 2017
7:18 p.m. PST
@PAOLO TARALLO
The blades are manufactured from composite materials (fiber glass, some with carbon structural components).

The blades are generally hollow with a shear web/spar or box beam structure.

At the moment our main focus is on solutions to implement within our existing fleet. However a solution that would also be applicable at an OEM level would be of interest.

PAOLO TARALLO
Dec. 21, 2017
1:11 p.m. PST
@Liz Treadwell
Hi Liz,
I've got a compelling message from NEXTeraENERGY two days ago, so now I've most, may be all, the information I need to go on, but I missed the challenge's regulation and I'm not able to find it again within Herox, neither I remember what is the expiration date of this challenge and what I'm supposed to yield: are they expecting to receive any written report by me issuing my suggestions and technical assessments about their problem? Hope you can give me some help, thank you in advance,

The best,
Paolo Tarallo

Liz Treadwell HeroX team
Dec. 21, 2017
1:17 p.m. PST
@PAOLO TARALLO
All of the guidelines can be found here: https://herox.com/wind-turbine-challenge/guidelines

PAOLO TARALLO
Jan. 29, 2018
3:39 p.m. PST
@Liz Treadwell
Hi Liz,
I have a problem with my project and I need to know what is the minimum blade's length I'll need to deal with, could the Sponsor state it please?
Thank you so much, best

Paolo Tarallo

Liz Treadwell HeroX team
Jan. 30, 2018
8:06 a.m. PST
@PAOLO TARALLO
I've notified the NextEra Energy team to provide a response. You should receive it soon!

Jan. 30, 2018
10:36 a.m. PST
@PAOLO TARALLO
The minimum blade length would be 23 meters, the maximum would be 57 meters.

Mykhailo Denysiuk
Feb. 8, 2018
2:48 p.m. PST
Is the inner space of the blade connected with the space of generator compartment? I mean, is it possible to access inner space of the blade from an generator compartment (is there some hole, even very small)?
If there is a connection, provide its dimensions, please.

Mykhailo Denysiuk
Feb. 8, 2018
3:04 p.m. PST
One more question: what is maximum tip speed (m/s) or rotational speed (rpm) for each used blades radius?

Marijan
Feb. 8, 2018
4:19 p.m. PST
@NextEra Energy Resources
Can you please tell me the walls thickness of the 27 meters and the 57 meters blade ? I understand that the thickness can vary, but i mainly need the measurement of the thickest part of the wall, the root of the blade. So if you can tell me the thickness at the root, that would be good enough. Thanks.

Feb. 22, 2018
7:18 a.m. PST
@Mykhailo Denysiuk
The inner space of the blade is separated from the wind turbine hub by a fiberglass or plywood panel called the closeout panel. This panel is connected to the inside of the blade root usually about 0.5m from the end of the blade. There is an access hatch in the closeout panel that allows personal access into the blade.

Feb. 22, 2018
7:21 a.m. PST
@Marijan
The wall thickness at the blade root can be up to 100mm thick. This is to accommodate not only the high loads but the hardware that attaches the blade to the wind turbine hub. The thickness reduces significantly outboard of this hardware.
Post Your Reply