Andy Ludu

Who will be the reviewers of the projects?

Who will be the reviewers of the projects?
Does anybody know where I can find this information, please?
A panel of scientists? If yes, what type of scientists? More like applied engineering, more like physics, more like ocean engineering, a mixture?

12 Replies

NREL Challenge
Dear Andy,

Thank you for your question. Submissions will be reviewed by a broad panel of judges including the DOE, NREL and industry subject matter experts. The judges will have a diverse background in the desalination, wave energy, and water technology fields. We anticipate that each application will be reviewed by several judges to ensure that idea is being fully evaluated against the judging criteria.

Hope this helps!
Nick Wynn
We understand the judges will review Concept submissions according to the criteria outlined in the rules, e.g "up to 4 points for each of seven statements". Will these individual scores (on each requested topic/subtopic) be released to the entrant? If so, when? Will any judges/reviewers comments be released to entrants?
Andy Ludu
Excellent, thank you NREL Moderator! All clear.
NREL Challenge
@Nick Wynn

Hi Nick,

What page in the rules are you referencing? I am not finding the statement that you are quoting and would like to provide clarification.

In general, we anticipate providing comments back to all submitter but not specific scores.

Hope this helps!
Tagged: Nick Wynn
Ideal Brain
Do participants get feedback on why their submission could not make it into final list?
Or how it was evaluated or why it was rejected?
Tagged: NREL Challenge
Nick Wynn
@NREL Challenge
Thanks Moderator - all clear
Ideal Brain
@NREL Challenge
In the past we didn't get any feedback on provided submissions. Not even comments or questions. If the jury members don't understand the submitted proposals, they should mention it so or ask questions about it. For example, if someone is claiming something, which was not possible in the past, that doesn't mean it couldn't be accomplished with better approaches, specially if someone says they have working prototype of the submitted concept.
NREL Challenge
Hi @Ideal Brain ,

While general feedback and some comments will be shared with competition teams to help improve submissions in future stages, we are not anticipating providing feedback on why a submission is successful or unsuccessful.

For the Waves to Water prize, all submissions will be evaluated against the judging criteria as detailed in the official rules document for the CONCEPT stage (See link under the Resources tab). If you have questions regarding the judging of another American Made Challenge prize, please feel free to reach out to Challenges@nrel.gov and they can direct you to the appropriate contact.

Thank you for sharing your question. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need additional clarification.

Thanks!
Tagged: Ideal Brain
Ideal Brain
@NREL Challenge

Ok thank you. I have been in contact with original challenge admin through Herox. However they have not provided the feedback since more than 1 month now. The technology we submitted is proven and I have working prototype of it. However the jury overlooked it for some reason and that's what I wanted to know. I'll check with the email you sent me.

Thank you.
Ideal Brain
@NREL Challenge
Looks like Challenges@nrel.gov is not checked often or is defunct now. We haven't got any response from them.
Is there any way we can present our technology to responsible officials, who can actually respond to it? We are not looking for winning the money of these competitions but actually initiate dialogue to take the technology to next level.
NREL Challenge
@Ideal Brain

Apologies - the e-mail is Challenge@nrel.gov (single, not plural) I had a typo in the above response. You can also copy WavestoWater@nrel.gov and I can help get you to the right person.
Tagged: Ideal Brain
Ideal Brain
@NREL Challenge

Hello, thank you for your response. I have sent you email with details.

Sincerely.
Let these people know about your message