Fred Briggs

Electricity storage

Some wave devices collect energy and convert this to electricity which can be used to run the desalination process. Most systems would want to stores this energy in a battery but when I watched the webinar I got the impression that batteries were not allowed. The reason being is that batteries can not be put into a system with zero energy. So a system would have some potential to desalinate water even before collecting a single bit of energy from waves. However, when I read the rules it seems to suggest that some sort of electrical storage device is allowed. Can you please clarify if/how a battery would be permitted to exist in a solution?

5 Replies

NREL Challenge
Hi Fred,

Thank you for your question an apologies for the delay. This is a very important topic and we anticipate that additional guidance will be provided soon. Keep an eye on the FAQs and updates for more information.

Thank you for your participation on the challenge. Please do not hesitate to post additional questions or concerns.
Kameron Beal
I have not seen any updates about this topic on the FAQ sheet. Have there been any developments on this topic?
NREL Challenge
Hi Kameron,

We are still finalizing the guidance regarding battery usage, we will post a response here and to the FAQs once the information is available. Thank you for your patience.
Fred Briggs
Any updates on this? I asked the question over a month ago with no clarification. The rules regarding how you deal with electrical generation and storage seems like it would be fundamental to many of the proposed solutions.
NREL Challenge
@Fred Briggs

Hi Fred! Thanks you for your patience in receiving a response on this subject. We will allow for batteries in some capacity in submission designs. We will include specific guidelines on batteries in a future update to the rules, likely for Stage 2, DESIGN competition.

Hopefully this helps to answer your question, but feel free to respond back if you need additional information.

Thanks!
Tagged: Fred Briggs
Let these people know about your message