Steve Vincent

Cost clarification

The challenge lists cost as an evaluation criteria and indicates that participants may be invited to conduct a 90 day field study. So is the cost we include in our proposal our projecting operating cost (i.e. 3,000 users for a year), or is it JUST to cover the 90 day field trial? I want to be sure we use the correct number that will be evaluated. I would suggest that participants cite projected or standard operating costs for the first year to make this an "apples to apples" cost comparison.
10 Replies

Edmonton Police Foundation
Please reveal all costs, pre trial, trial and post trial (if any). We are looking at the overall cost.

Steve Vincent
Thanks, this is very helpful.

John Kost
As a startup, my partners and I draw no salaries. That in effect skews our costs in a downward direction and may place others (say in North America or Europe) at a severe disadvantage in the cost category.

Any thoughts on how we can remove this bias?

Please follow the guidelines and put the costs we would incur. Some may offer it at no charge, to gain credibility...so we're evaluating per what's submitted, not factoring what your cost is

John Kost
Would it be possible to get a copy of an EPS IT Vendor Contract that lays out important parameters such as SLA (service level agreement)? There is a huge cost difference between 99.9% and 99.999% uptime requirements and this will allow us to better compose our costs.

Thank-you in advance.

this isn't subject to EPS sla, this initiative is sponsored by the Edmonton Police Foundation and ATB

John Kost
@Edmonton Police Foundation

Thank-you for the clarification. May we have the SLA for EPF/ATB then? It will let us better compose a more accurate cost structure.

Thank-you in advance.

There are no preset sla, please propose what your solution complies with and what options are available for any increase sla

Steve Vincent
I'd like to clarify the 90 day trial for Phase II participants. If I understand your guidance correctly, you would like us to identify the costs associated with a Phase II trial, but no funding is awarded until AFTER the Phase II period. This means that all of the costs to support a 3,000 end user trial are our responsibility. In the case of our solution, it is already built and in use commercially. The overwhelming majority of effort involved in deploying it for a new customer is the configuration, loading of local resources, identification of department peer support, etc. That is typically done in the first month and then we transition to sustainment. This becomes a tremendous financial risk, and one that is likely to reduce the number of proven commercial solutions you will receive. Am I understanding the structure correctly? When we are asked to identify costs for the 90 day trial period is that just so you know and can evaluate that, or is there any funding associated with supporting the 90 day field study for a Phase II trial?

The trial won't necessarily be for 3,000 members - it will be for an acceptable pilot size which can help demonstrate the efficacy of the proposed solution. As such, the costs to incur such a trial should not be excessive. As well, most commercial providers build trial costs into their solution pricing and it's an expected part of doing business. Hope this helps clarify our expectations.
Post Your Reply
Let these people know about your message