Sugar. Known also as sucrose (half glucose and half fructose), it sweetens most of what we enjoy eating and drinking. Historically, sugar was extracted from sugar cane, which humans have been utilizing as a source of sweetener for thousands of years. More recent developments have allowed for sweeteners to be derived from other plants, like beets and corn. Sweeteners have evolved to include sugar alternatives and even naturally derived low- and no-calorie sweeteners. As consumers continue to seek natural and low calorie options for their diets, these natural sweeteners provide new options. While a tremendous amount of research has gone into the discovery and development of natural low- and no-calorie compounds, we still think there are novel compounds to be discovered and developed!
That’s why we are seeking your help: to find a natural, safe, reduced, low- or no-calorie compound that generates the taste sensation of sugar when used in beverages and foods. The Coca-Cola Company is excited to sponsor The Coca-Cola Company Sweetener Challenge (the “Challenge”).
Why Issue a Challenge?
At The Coca-Cola Company, we are constantly innovating and refreshing our portfolio to meet the consumer’s tastes and lifestyles. And we know that amazing ideas can come from anywhere. The Coca‑Cola Company Sweetener Challenge is looking for a natural, safe, reduced, low- or no-calorie compound that creates the taste sensation of sugar when used in beverages and foods. We think that somewhere in the world, there is an individual or team of people who can solve our challenge!
The Challenge Breakthrough
The Coca-Cola Company Sweetener Challenge is looking for a natural, safe, reduced, low- or no-calorie compound that creates the taste sensation of sugar when used in beverages and foods. The compound must not contain, or be derived from, Stevia or Lo Han Guo (Monk Fruit), or from any list of protected species or substances issued by any regulatory body in any country.
What Can You Do Right Now?
- Read the complete challenge guidelines to see the rules and requirements for entry into the challenge.
- “Accept Challenge” by clicking the orange button above to compete in the challenge.
- Follow the challenge above to be notified of any status updates to the challenge.
- Share this challenge on social media using the icons above. Show your friends, your family, or anyone you know who has a passion for discovery.
- Start a conversation in our Forum to join the conversation, ask questions or connect with other innovators.