Innovator should print and keep a copy of this CSA. No provisions that Innovator may have agreed to that are specific to any other individual challenge will apply.
- Submissions. By participating in this Challenge, Innovator may submit to Challenge Sponsor submission materials ("Submission”), as outlined in the Challenge Guidelines specific to this challenge on HeroX.com, for the Challenge to which this CSA relates. By submitting a Submission, Innovator thereby agrees to provide reasonable assistance and additional information concerning the Submission to Challenge Sponsor, if requested.
Innovator also commits to being available over the course of the Global Learning XPRIZE challenge duration, as per the official timeline, to provide additional programming assistance during challenge stages (up until 12 months into the field test), further enhancing the cumulative Submission status of the Challenge Sponsor Team.
- Acceptance of Submission and License to Use. Challenge Sponsor will notify Innovator if Submission has been selected to be eligibale for an official invitation to join the Challenge Sponsor team and receive a prize ("Prize”), as outlined in the Challenge Guidelines, according to the schedule set forth in the Challenge Guidelines and based on the Challenge Sponsor's performance in the Global Learning XPRIZE.
Challenge Sponsor will judge all Submissions against the criteria set forth in the Challenge Guidelines and determine, in its sole discretion, which Submission best addresses the Challenge Guidelines.
Challenge Sponsor has absolute and sole discretion to determine whether to accept the Innovator Submission, or any Submission, and whether to make a Prize, multiple Prizes or any Prize.
The meeting of the Challenge Guidelines does not automatically mean that the Submission will be eligible for a Prize. Submissions must NOT contain or include ideas, concepts, solutions or technology in respect of which a third party owns or controls the intellectual property. Submissions and descriptions thereof may not include trademarks or trade names of corporations or entities without the permission of their owners.
By entering, Innovator represents and warrants that:
- Innovator’s entire Submission is an original work by Innovator and Innovator has not included third-party content (such as writing, text, graphics, artwork, logos, photographs, dialogue from plays, likeness of any third party, musical recordings, clips of videos, television programs or motion pictures) in or in connection with the Submission, unless (i) otherwise requested by the Challenge Sponsor and/or disclosed by Innovator in the Submission, and (ii) Innovator has either obtained the rights to use such third-party content or the content of the Submission is considered in the public domain without any limitations on use;
- no person or entity other than Innovator has any right, title or interest in any part of the Submission;
- unless otherwise disclosed in the Submission, the use thereof by Challenge Sponsor, or the exercise by Challenge Sponsor of any of the rights granted by Innovator under this Agreement, does not and will not infringe or violate any rights of any third party or entity, including, without limitation patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, defamation, privacy, publicity, false light, misappropriation, intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, confidentiality, or any contractual or other rights;
- Innovator has all the rights, licenses, permissions and consents necessary to submit the Submission and to grant all of the rights that Innovator has granted to Challenge Sponsor hereunder, including the right for Challenge Sponsor to use and develop derivative works of and from the Submission;
- all persons who were engaged by Innovator to work on the Submission or who appear in the Submission in any manner have:
- given Innovator their express written consent to submit the Submission for unlimited, royalty-free use, exhibition and other exploitation in any manner and in any and all media, whether now existing or hereafter discovered, throughout the world, in perpetuity;
- provided written permission to include their name, image or pictures in or with the Submission (or if a minor who is not Innovator’s child, Innovator must have the permission of their parent or legal guardian) and Innovator may be asked by Challenge Sponsor to provide permission in writing;
- no claims for payment of any kind, including, without limitation, for royalties or residuals;
- no approval or consultation rights or any rights of participation arising out of any use, exhibition or other exploitation of the Submission; and
- not been and are not currently under any union or guild agreement that results in any ongoing obligations resulting from the use, exhibition or other exploitation of the Submission;
- Innovator understands, recognizes and accepts that Challenge Sponsor has access to, may create or has created materials and ideas which may be similar or identical to the Submission in concept, theme, idea, format or other respects. Innovator acknowledges and agrees that Challenge Sponsor shall have the right to use such same or similar materials, and that Innovator will not be entitled to any compensation arising from Challenge Sponsor's use of such materials. In the event that Innovator’s entry is identical or similar to the Submission of another Competitor, Challenge Sponsor reserves the right, at the sole discretion of Challenge Sponsor, to either score one Submission higher than the other subject to the Challenge Guidelines or to randomly choose a Submission from all of those submitted which respond to the Challenge Guidelines.
Entering. By entering, Innovator agrees that: (i) all Submissions become Challenge Sponsor's property and will not be returned; and (ii) Challenge Sponsor and its licensees, successors and assignees have the right to use any and all Submissions, and the names, likenesses, voices and images of all persons appearing in the Submission, for future advertising, promotion and publicity in any manner and in any medium now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity.
Variable Intellectual Property status. Should the Challenge Sponsor attain Finalist or Winner status with Global Learning XPRIZE, the Challenge Sponsor will retain all right, title and other ownership interests in the Innovator’s Submission and in all inventions, patents, patent applications, designs, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, software, source code, object code, processes, formulae, ideas, methods, know-how, techniques, devices, creative works, works of authorship, publications, and/or other intellectual property (“Intellectual Property”) developed by the Innovator during the Challenge. This is a requirement of the Global Learning XPRIZE rules and regulations.
Should the Challenge Sponsor not attain Finalist or Winner status with Global Learning XPRIZE, i.e., non-Finalist, the Innovator will retain all right, title and other ownership interests in the Innovator’s Submission and in all inventions, patents, patent applications, designs, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, software, source code, object code, processes, formulae, ideas, methods, know-how, techniques, devices, creative works, works of authorship, publications, and/or other intellectual property (“Intellectual Property”) developed by the Innovator during the Challenge.
Always Open Source. Challenge Sponsor will require all content and assets developed by Finalists and contributed to the project to be licensed under the Creative Commons CC BY (4.0) license. Challenge Sponsor will also require all code developed by Finalists and contributed to the project to be licensed under the Apache License 2.0, or similar Open Source Initiative (“OSI”) license mutually agreed to by both Finalist and Challenge Sponsor. License must be granted on or before July 31, 2016.
Any third party code must also be released under a license which does not conflict with the Challenge Sponsor licensing its own code under the Apache License, 2.0 as part of the same application.
NOTE: Some open source licenses (such as the GNU Public License) do not meet this criterion, as they require any derivative work to be released under the same license.
Once all development has been completed, all designs, code, content, and assets developed by all Finalists will be released under open source licenses that permit free distribution, derivative works, and use in commercial and non-commercial settings.
Disqualification. Any component submission not adhering to the above licensing requirements will be disqualified by the Challenge Sponsor during the pre-screening stage of the review process and will be denied re-submission or review request.
Any component submission that falsely claims licensing details or fails to declare licensing details will be immediately disqualified upon discovery, regardless of the stage of the Challenge.
Challenge Sponsor reserves the right to revoke an Official Team Member offer, regardless of negotiation stage or acceptance, should any false claims be discovered, including meeting Global Learning XPRIZE Team Member Requirements (#8, below).
Financial Compensation. Innovator accepts and understands that this is an indirectly funded challenge that is fully contingent on the Challenge Sponsor's performance in the official Global Learning XPRIZE competition. Awarding of any prizes in any of The ShiraX Challenges is contingent on the Challenge Sponsor team being chosen as either a Finalist or Winner in the Global Learning XPRIZE and are dependent on the official contest's timeline. Finalist/Winner prize amounts are listed in the Prize Payout Structure table on the Challenge description page.
Should the Challenge Sponsor be a non-Finalist in the Global Learning XPRIZE competition, Innovator accepts and agrees that there will be no financial compensation for any submission to The ShiraX Challenges.
Global Learning XPRIZE Team Member Requirements. Innovator agrees to meet all Global Learning XPRIZE requirements to become an official team member of the Challenge Sponsor team. This includes having valid health and car insurance (if a driver) for the duration of the Global Learning XPRIZE challenge (until approx. Summer 2019). Innovator may be asked to provide proof of insurance over the course of the Gloabl Learning XPRIZE Challenge and will have 24 hours to produce the insurance, upon request.
In addition, the Innovator will have to submit a signed copy of the Global Learning XPRIZE Team Member Waiver. in order to become an official Team Member.
In Confidence. Submission may not be acknowledged and will not be received or held "in confidence." The act of submitting a Submission does not create a confidential relationship or obligation of secrecy between Innovator and any of the entities involved in this Challenge.
- Other Contracts, Confidentiality, and Indemnification. Innovator agrees that Innovator will not disclose to Challenge Sponsor any information which Innovator is under an existing contractual or other legal obligation to maintain in confidence or otherwise does not have the right to sell or license. Innovator agrees that Innovator will not discuss any confidential information of Innovator’s own, other parties, or Challenge Sponsor unless Innovator is specifically using the HeroX website to do so. Should Innovator’s participation in the Challenge be found to breach any legal obligations Innovator may have with other third parties or in the event of a breach of the confidentiality obligations in this Section 3, Innovator agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Challenge Sponsor, its and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, and suppliers, from and against all claims, actions or demands, liabilities, and settlements, including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees, arising in connection with such unauthorized and prohibited disclosure.
- Changes and Cancellation. Challenge Sponsor has the right to make updates and/or make any changes to, or to modify the scope of the Challenge Guidelines, Challenge Schedule, and Winning Criteria at any time during the Challenge. Innovators are responsible for regularly reviewing the Challenge site to ensure they are meeting all rules and requirements of the Challenge. Challenge Sponsor has the right to cancel the Challenge at any time, without warning or explanation, and to subsequently remove the Prize completely.
- General Conditions. Challenge Sponsor has the right to verify each Innovator's eligibility and compliance with this CSA. Challenge Sponsor has the right to enforce the terms and conditions hereof directly against Innovator. Participation is conditioned on providing the data required in the online registration form. Innovators should direct any request to access, update, or correct information to Challenge Sponsor. Challenge Sponsor is not responsible for human error, theft, destruction, or damage to Submissions, or other factors beyond its reasonable control.
- Innovators should not register with multiple e-mail and/or street addresses. In the event of a dispute as to any Submission, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the person who submitted the Submission. The authorized "account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address;
- Innovator is responsible for any related costs to complete activities related to solving the challenge;
- Innovator is responsible for obeying any local, national, and international laws in undertaking any activities related to solving the challenge;
- Innovator is responsible for obtaining any insurance related to activities performed to solve the challenge;
- Innovator is responsible for truthful representation of all activities undertaken to solve the challenge; Challenge Sponsor reserves the right, at any time, to verify such activities;
- Innovator is responsible for maintaining accurate records and truthfulness of metrics, or impact related to activities undertaken to solve the challenge; Challenge Sponsor is not responsible for calculating results, but reserves the right, at any time, to verify such information;
- Innovator is responsible for completing registration and submitting Submissions by the dates outlined in the Challenge Guidelines; Challenge Sponsor is not required to accept late registrations or late Submissions;
- Challenge Sponsor is not liable for any activities undertaken to solve the challenge;
- Challenge Sponsor has the right to disqualify an individual from the challenge at any time.
- Representations and Warranties. Innovator represents and warrants that:
- All information provided by Innovator regarding Innovator and, if applicable, its business ("Competitor Information") is true, accurate, current, and complete information and Innovator will maintain and update the Competitor Information to keep it true, accurate, current and complete.
- If Innovator is an individual representing a business or other entity, Innovator is authorized to enter into this Agreement on behalf of that business or entity.
- Unless otherwise disclosed in the Submission, Innovator is the owner of the Submission and the Submission does not infringe or violate any patent, copyright, trade secret, trademark or other third-party intellectual property right.
- Innovator has the right to grant the license in the Submission as required by Section 2 of this CSA.