8:16 p.m. PST

Do pumps work in space?

Do pumps still work in space?
8 Replies

Ajay Chandel
Nov. 28, 2016
@Eric Klein
that's an good idea i also think about that..

Parth Poddar
Nov. 28, 2016
Vacuum Cleaner wouldn't work in space because there is no air for sucking this process..

Pedro Martins
Nov. 28, 2016
Hi Eric

Let me give extend your idea.

A pump is a device that moves fluids (liquids or gases) and inside orange suit is 100% oxygene environment.

Hope this helps :)

Jhonny Young
Nov. 28, 2016
@Eric Klein
in a sealed system the pump would have to work. The displacement caused by any excrement would create a difference of pressure in the system that a pump could exploit... I think.

Ahmad Aqel
Nov. 28, 2016
Pump can work when it suck in vacuum and discharge in vacuum (same pressure)

Christopher Hedley
Nov. 28, 2016
Standard pumps won't work in space.
1. surface tension of water would stick to the lining of the pipes causing air bubbles in the middle of the pipe.
2. the lack of gravity will stop gasses from rising and liquids and solids from falling
2a Heat lingers in space, with no or micro gravity it doesn't rise above the dense air, so it would just linger in one place and sort of 'pool' causing the device to quickly burn itself out with it's own heat.

So, without the pump being safe for both gasses and liquid, without the pump being air cooled or liquid cooled, without the pump making it's own gravity...

The pump will work, but not for long, remember when you make a vacuum the water will boil and the hydrogen and oxygen will turn into a misty gas just like in well... a vacuum chamber.

Reference, Chris Hadfield, First Canadian Commander of International Space Station, builder of Space Station, Astronaut, Music lover.

seb liber
Nov. 28, 2016
@Christopher Hedley
hello i am a student in australia doing a research assigment on neclear reactor in space. what is your opition
thank noah

Penguin Kothe
Nov. 28, 2016
@seb liber
that is cool
Tagged: seb liber
Post Your Reply
Let these people know about your message