menu
Jillian Cadwell
Dec. 16, 2021
1:13 p.m. PST

Impact Plan Question

The impact plan has a "short description." Does this short description count toward the 5000 word limit?
Do words in the "graphics" headings count toward the 5000 word limit?
Are tables considered graphics?
Can graphics be embedded in the document or should they come at the end (like an appendix)?
28 Replies

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 21, 2022
3:17 p.m. PST

For the "short description" we are expecting a clear and concise description of your team/organization and mission at a recommended length of 50-200 words. You're welcome to include a short description of planned activities in your Impact Plan if you feel it would benefit your submission - this would count towards your word limit. Both the video pitch and impact plan should collectively describe the proposed implementation plan and address all four of the scoring criteria - so if your video contains the elevator pitch it isn't necessary to replicate the content in your impact plan unless your team feels it would strengthen your submission.

Megan Anderson
Feb. 24, 2022
3:55 p.m. PST
For the Cover Page, is the short description your asking for there the 140 characters version that the online application asks for or the 200 words version in the Impact Plan template? Just want to make sure I'm putting in the right description. Thank you!

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 24, 2022
4:20 p.m. PST

The short description in the Cover Page does not have a character limit, you may use the short description from the Impact Plan (suggested length 50-200 words) or you may use an alternate description, such as the one you upload to HeroX.

Megan Anderson
Feb. 25, 2022
10:30 a.m. PST
Do we have to include our Team Member Information and the Short Description in the Impact Plan if they are included on the Cover Page? Right now my Cover Page is essentially a duplicate of the first three pages of my Impact Plan.

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 25, 2022
10:43 a.m. PST

Use of the provided templates are not a requirement, they're just meant as a guide for our expectation of length and content.

Megan Anderson
Feb. 25, 2022
12:36 p.m. PST

Thanks Amanda.

Just a few more questions. My apologies for asking so many -- I just want to make sure I'm submitting everything correctly :) 
So just to clarify for myself, is it correct to say if I have my Team Member Information and the Short Description (the 50-200 word version) in the Cover Page the I do not need to include them in my in the Impact Plan? Or, if I do include these two items in my Impact Plan, is it correct to say they will not count toward the 5000 word limit?

If we include a Table of Contents in our Impact plan, does this count toward the 5000 words?

In regards to headings that don't count toward the word limit, does this only include "Section 1, Section 2, etc." or would it also include subsection headings such as "1.1 Experience engaging disadvantaged communities"?

Thanks again!

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 25, 2022
12:58 p.m. PST

I would like to stress: Submissions are scored based on the scoring criterion listed in Section 3.5 Review Criteria and Suggested Content of the Official Rules Document. While we expect submissions to be reasonably close to the word limit, it is meant to guide your response - it is not a scoring criterion. Please keep this in mind when drafting your final submission.

If you chose to include the short description and team members in your impact plan, these will not count towards your 5000 word limit.

Megan Anderson
Feb. 25, 2022
12:59 p.m. PST

Thank you Amanda! I think I'm clear now.
Post Your Reply