menu
Jillian Cadwell
Dec. 16, 2021
1:13 p.m. PST

Impact Plan Question

The impact plan has a "short description." Does this short description count toward the 5000 word limit?
Do words in the "graphics" headings count toward the 5000 word limit?
Are tables considered graphics?
Can graphics be embedded in the document or should they come at the end (like an appendix)?
28 Replies

Amanda Morton moderator
Dec. 27, 2021
3:04 p.m. PST
@Jillian Cadwell
The short description does not count towards the 5000 word limit, nor do headings. Tables do count towards the 5 visualization or graphics maximum, and these can be embedded in the document. Please note, the templates were created to help guide responses. Submissions are scored based on the scoring criterion listed in section 3.5 Review Criteria and Suggested Content of the Official Rules Document. Use of the provided templates is not a scoring criterion nor a requirement.

Jillian Cadwell
Jan. 3, 2022
12:38 p.m. PST
Thank you for your reply!

Jillian Cadwell
Jan. 4, 2022
10:30 a.m. PST
I just want to double-check that the words included in Tables will NOT be included in the 5000 word count. Right?

Amanda Morton moderator
Jan. 5, 2022
8:12 a.m. PST
@Jillian Cadwell
Submissions are scored based on the scoring criterion listed in section 3.5 Review Criteria and Suggested Content of the Official Rules Document. While we expect submissions to be reasonably close to the word limit, it is meant to guide your response - it is not a scoring criterion. Please keep this in mind when drafting your final submission.

Jillian Cadwell
Jan. 5, 2022
12:30 p.m. PST
Thanks for the quick reply, Amanda!

WolfSpirit
Feb. 6, 2022
7:02 a.m. PST
I have a draft of my Impact Plan. Is there someone I can send it to for comments/suggestions/advice?

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 7, 2022
8:11 a.m. PST
@Mark Schauer
Have you tried one of the power connector office hours? Head over to the updates section to find a full list of upcoming connector office hours and links to register: https://www.herox.com/InclusiveEnergyInnovationPrize/updates

lynn zender
Feb. 7, 2022
12:42 p.m. PST
@Amanda Morton
Just a double-check on tables...We were planning to organize some of our answers in tables -- -- just text tables, not data or anything. Do tables that are just narrative answers to the different sections still count as graphics?
Thx!

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 7, 2022
12:55 p.m. PST
@lynn zender
Tables count towards the 5 visualization or graphics maximum.

Jillian Cadwell
Feb. 7, 2022
1:21 p.m. PST
Hi Amanda,

Do you know if it's okay to have a 2-page Cover Page? The template provided included two pages, but I thought I'd check with you just in case you only want a single page.

Thanks!

lynn zender
Feb. 7, 2022
1:38 p.m. PST
And sorry Amanda and Jillian, can I sneak in another question on Cover Page -- what constitutes a Team member's "online profile"? Can it be a link to a webpage(s) on their organization or a project that defines them? Or a University Faculty research interests? Or are you looking for something like a professional social media profile?

Thx Amanda for responding to these questions so quickly! Much appreciated.

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 7, 2022
3:10 p.m. PST
@Jillian Cadwell
Use of the cover page template is not a requirement, it's just meant as a guide for our expectation of length. It can be one or two pages - in that styled template or not - but that is the amount of content we would expect to see.

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 7, 2022
3:16 p.m. PST
@lynn zender
This is not defined and is at the discretion of competitors. The examples you provided of a professional social media profile (such as LinkedIn) or a bio on a webpage would both be acceptable forms of an online profile.

Jillian Cadwell
Feb. 7, 2022
3:32 p.m. PST
@Amanda Morton
Great! Thanks!

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 7, 2022
3:48 p.m. PST
I'd just like to take a moment to clarify that while the Impact Plan is scored the Cover Page is not. There is a table of what is scored and what is not in the Official Rules Document Section 3.4.

Jillian Cadwell
Feb. 16, 2022
1:20 p.m. PST
Hi Amanda,

In the Impact Plan, we will include a budget that outlines our project costs, but it is NOT split out by "direct" and "indirect" costs. Is that okay?

Thanks,
Jillian

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 16, 2022
3:20 p.m. PST
Hi Jillian - we do not have a specified preference in the Official Rules Document as to how competitors structure their budgets.

lynn zender
Feb. 17, 2022
noon PST
Hi Amanda - One more table question! Just confirming whether the budget table counts to the 5,000 word guidance? We'll have 5 graphics so in our case the budget can't count as a graphic.

Amanda Morton moderator
Feb. 17, 2022
2:44 p.m. PST
edited

We just updated the FAQ today to include:

Do tables count as graphics/visualizations?
Yes, tables count towards the 5 supplemental visualization or graphics maximum. 
The budget table is not considered supplemental and does not count towards the 5 supplemental visualizations or graphics.

Is there a page limit? What counts towards the word limits?

No, there is not a page limit, but there is a word limit (5,000 words) and a limit to the number of supplemental graphics/visualizations (5).

The budget table is exempt from the word count and does not count towards the 5 supplemental visualizations or graphics.
The short description in the Impact Plan does not count towards the 5000 word limit, nor do headings. 

Submissions are scored based on the scoring criterion listed in Section 3.5 Review Criteria and Suggested Content of the Official Rules Document. While we expect submissions to be reasonably close to the word limit, it is meant to guide your response - it is not a scoring criterion. Please keep this in mind when drafting your final submission.

Eric Rehm
Feb. 21, 2022
12:42 p.m. PST
edited
Another question about the "Short Description".  It advises "A clear and concise description of your team/organization and mission".  Is this supposed to include a short description of the impact plan itself, i.e., describing the goal of our "inclusive energy plan"?  Or is this Short Description limited just to the team's overall mission (in our case, this is a pre-existing team).

Otherwise, where does the written elevator pitch go?  (Of course our video will address this...)
Post Your Reply