US citizens only?!

Tamas Csabina May 8, 2017, 2:07 p.m. PDT
No offense guys, but with this restriction you rule out vast majority of the best coders around the world...

Garrett George May 8, 2017, 4:56 p.m. PDT
@Tamas Csabina
This is because the software is ITAR restricted. From one FUN3D manual: "Release of the high-energy, real-gas capability is further restricted because of International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)". Modeling that's inherent to the code is already restricted. There's nothing NASA can do about this.

Arbnor Grubi May 9, 2017, 10:19 a.m. PDT
This is very sad.
I was looking forward to this, sadly due to this i can't continue any further.

Olivier Cantin May 9, 2017, 11:14 a.m. PDT
But ITAR restricted even for Canadian citizen? No exemption?

Juan Arrieta May 9, 2017, 4:18 p.m. PDT
There is absolutely nothing that NASA can do about ITAR. As much as I'm sure they would love to have international participation, they are a US Entity (and a Federal Government Entity, for that matter), and must abide by the restrictions imposed at Federal level.

I don't speak for NASA, but I can assure all our international friends that NASA values international collaboration. Sadly, ITAR is completely outside their control.

Juan Arrieta May 9, 2017, 4:22 p.m. PDT
@Tamas Csabina
It does, and it is sad. And I'm sure NASA realizes it. But they cannot get around ITAR restrictions imposed on them at the Federal level. I hope you are not disappointed or feel that NASA does not value or recognize international collaboration.

Castagnier Mickaël May 10, 2017, 12:50 a.m. PDT
A pity they only accept Americans. Plus I had to go to the last step (request for FUN3D code) to know that.

Paul Musille May 10, 2017, 2:01 p.m. PDT
Hi all,

The eligibility does extend past US citizens to include US Persons (this includes US Citizens, Permanent Residents/Green Card holders and those in the U.S. as a protected political asylee or under amnesty); currently on US soil; and age 18 or older.
Let these people know about your message