Guideline for ground transport

Avik Arora Dec. 19, 2017, 11:10 a.m. PST
Hi,

Could someone clarify the guideline for the ground transport?
Does the same somehow specify the maximum weight of the device? If so, would it include the fuel required for the flight as well?

ExpAir Dec. 19, 2017, 1:10 p.m. PST
Hi. There is no specification for an actual ground transport device, but it is certainly an independent aspect - so i could use a trolley to move it, but the trolley plays no role in the craft itself, or I don't need to use anything - since the craft may have wheels to just push it along. The real issue that they were making with ground transport is that your vehicle couldn't be so heavy that you break your back trying to push it or lever it. They have maximum forces to be applied for pushing for instance. If your craft could't be manhandled with reasonable force, then that also defeats the purpose of a easy to use device

Paul Musille Dec. 20, 2017, 5:53 a.m. PST
@Avik Arora
The requirement must be met with the device in a ready to fly configuration, not including the operator.

Avik Arora Dec. 20, 2017, 8:13 a.m. PST
Thanks for the clarification.
So, if I'm right, I can have a device heavier than 80lbs given the force required to move the same does not exceed 50lbs and if the device is to be carried around by lifting it like a travel bag, it should not weigh above 80lbs.
These weights are of the device in fly off condition.
Let me know if I missed out something or if there is more to my initial question.

Ken Burner Dec. 20, 2017, 5:12 p.m. PST
It appears the maximum "pulling " force for lateral movement is 50 lbs. It also appears that the "lifting" force is not to exceed 80 lbs. I would think that the 80 lbs. means lifting up or pushing down. Thus a dolly acting as a lever with a max force of 80 lbs. on it's handle would have to lift the device. In addition, since the rules make no mention of how many times the up to 80 lbs. force can be used, a wheeled dolly with hydraulic lift table, not to exceed 80 lbs. of force to lift, would qualify.

Ken Burner Dec. 20, 2017, 5:20 p.m. PST
I probably should have written "not to exceed 80 lbs. of force PER PUMP OF THE HANDLE to lift, would qualify. Perhaps Paul Musille can clarify.

ExpAir Dec. 20, 2017, 5:32 p.m. PST
Ken - it sounds legit - doesnt matter how many pumps or pushes or tugs, as long as you can achieve movement or manhandling with less force than those limits - which of course really motivates the use of wheels for side movement. The issue of lifting the device up or off a trailer is of course a concern - and there is no statement about that - and probably doesn't need to be - so I can only assume that at no point is there any requirement to do any lifting at all - if you have wheels

Ken Burner Dec. 20, 2017, 5:46 p.m. PST
The definition of a "dolly" makes no mention of the number of wheels, at least according to Webster. So it appears a "cart" is a "dolly.'

Ken Burner Dec. 20, 2017, 5:54 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
"If you have wheels" - yes I imagine the STOL people will have wheels while the VTOL probably won't.

ExpAir Dec. 20, 2017, 6 p.m. PST
Well mine is VTOL/STOL so yes i guess because of the STOL part I have wheels . Actually you could use those type of wheels for ground transport where they dont touch the ground when standing - but tilt them a bit and they become like a trolley - though im not sure you want to go tilting your 150 - 200kg craft on the ground. So guess yes - either just have small wheels or use a trolley/dolly as you say.

Ken Burner Dec. 20, 2017, 6:02 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
Wow, yours weighs that much! JK

Ken Burner Dec. 20, 2017, 6:06 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
I have seen some light helicopters that have skids with wheels that can be lowered for ground transportation.

ExpAir Dec. 20, 2017, 6:08 p.m. PST
that's with 2 people on board :)

Ken Burner Dec. 20, 2017, 6:09 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
LOL

Ken Burner Dec. 20, 2017, 6:14 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
I'm also working on a self imposed 12 ft size limit version of the "device," not for the Go-Fly Contest, but for my 300 lb. son to fly, or as you said, two (smaller) people to fly in/on.

Paul Musille Jan. 28, 2018, 5:35 a.m. PST
There are no explicit weight limits for the device.

Akihiro Mizutani Feb. 17, 2018, 1:20 a.m. PST
@Paul Musille
Thank you for the clarification.
Could also clarify the following requirement? Does this mean that dollies can lift 80lbs. at maximum?

2.1.4. Ground transport
Required lifting (not including carrying) should not exceed 80 lbs.

Paul Musille Feb. 20, 2018, 7:18 a.m. PST
@Akihiro Mizutani
The requirement refers to human effort only.
attach image or video