General Off-topic Chatter

ExpAir Feb. 12, 2018, 1:48 p.m. PST
Although for some riders cycling is recreational, its is used as fundamental transport by millions of people in Vietnam, China, Holland, Denmark, the list goes on.
This competition does not dictate recreational or utility as such, and I think maybe that the end results would not differ much. It certainly needs to be a craft that can be used within a town or city - which is dictated by size and noise constraints. It is certainly not intended to be restricted to a certain category of user, though it remains to be seen how practical the eventual designs are.

Lazer Feb. 12, 2018, 1:40 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
This brings up a question. Is this contest for a recreational or utility personal flying device? The bicycle was built as a utility vehicle, and is now used for recreation. If a flying device is built under FAR part 103, it can only be used for recreation. The GoFly rules and guidelines point more towards a recreational flying device. However, some of the webinar's and allot of the posts lean towards building a utility type flying device. So which type of flying device is GoFly looking for?

Just to be clear:
Recreation type flying device is intended to be used for the joy of flying only. Such as ultralight aircraft, powered paragliders, and regular gliders.

Utility type flying device is intended to be used mostly for A to B transportation.

ExpAir Feb. 12, 2018, 1:14 p.m. PST
Been thinking a lot about the tendencies for design. The tendency for a design to be multirotor, the tendency for it to be stabilised, etc etc. Put differently, if we didnt have the bicycle and no-one had ever seen any form of bike, trike or motorbike, and we got designers from all over the planet to design and build a personal land transport device - we would end up with anything but a bicycle (speculative of course). The bicycle is such a fundamental design that it has hardly changed in hundred years and will not change in a hundred more. sure you can add electric drive and shocks but that doesn't remove from the fact that essential bicycle remains one of the best and simplest designs for personal transport. Carry that thought process to aviation and imagine that in the beginning there will be a whole lot of designs but that it will become apparent that a few essential designs dominate and that others, though workable are not practical, and eventually things stabilize on a particular style or two. This style gets refined and then slowly takes hold until millions of people are flying (assuming regulations don't completely repress personal aviation). So what would this craft look like and behave like. It would certainly reflect all the criteria described by this competition - except for the sight cone - that would be irrelevant. I cant imagine it would have exposed blades - safety would requires ducts and certainly no rotors. It would not be high tech as this inflates cost and minimises market size (debatable). But - most notable - and this is the biggest issue - it would NOT fall out of the sky at the slightest malfunction, in the same way that bicycle does not come apart if the chain comes off the sprocket, in the same way that a plane does not fall after engine failure. I know its not fair comparing to a bicycle, but the point here is that to become a mass usage product it MUST be inherently safe, NOT rely on skill to fend off impending death or injury. So what could the craft look like such that millions of users can be sure they will be alive day after day assuming they commute every day with this craft.

ExpAir Feb. 7, 2018, 1:14 p.m. PST
Ok - might be worth speaking to another mentor - to get a professional opinion on the validity of the approach. But it would have to be a fixed wing professional - not rotary wing (if possible and if available). if no-one is available - no problem.

Ken Burner Feb. 6, 2018, 2:45 p.m. PST
Dang, Exp Air "Rang the Bell [Hell Week / US Navy SEALs]." Sorry to see your go.

ExpAir Feb. 6, 2018, 1:51 p.m. PST
On a different note - I requested a mentor way back, and then got assigned one about 2 weeks back - He sent me an email, I responded and then all went quiet. Not sure what to think of that. Anyway - Its Feb and since I don't have the time - even though i think my new design could fulfill all requirements, I'm out. If someone wants a design - I'm happy to offer it - though I'm sure everyone is very fixed to their own designs ... happy flying :)

ExpAir Feb. 6, 2018, 1:47 p.m. PST
Nice one - that would look quite cool if he also filled the bath with bubbles :) on the downside - if anything went wrong from the altitudes hes reaching - he will get a rather nasty bump on the head - not to mention a cracked bath :). But it does look cool.

Flapping Flight Feb. 6, 2018, 8:20 a.m. PST
https://youtu.be/pS0Go7EDBDg

Clifford Dec. 13, 2017, 4:51 a.m. PST
hi Guys. thought still having some issue assembling a team though

Birdman Dec. 11, 2017, 8:41 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
Is this video the commuter you are looking for? joking
This is evolution, no one knows where it will end up for sure. Everyone is waiting for longer range electric power supply. Then the Drones will dominate. Until then drones will settle for sport, fun, and even art

ExpAir Dec. 11, 2017, 5:47 p.m. PST
Here's an interesting video showing good mushing flight at about 45 - 60 degree angle of attack in some parts. representative of a winged design in transitional flight
Attachments

ExpAir Dec. 11, 2017, 5:33 p.m. PST
haha - Birdman - here I was hoping you had better than that one - yes of course Ive seen that :), and it is better than the rest - but is that as good as it gets? Do you reckon this device makes a good commuter?

Birdman Dec. 11, 2017, 5:28 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
Ok you force me to respond to this, watch the video and eat your words, joking
Attachments

ExpAir Dec. 11, 2017, 3:33 p.m. PST
Something that strikes me as amazingly odd. there are many folk who have created multicopter platforms of some form or other that have lifted a person off the ground for quite a few minutes, and some of them obviously have a lot of thought and skill put into them, yet all of them seemed to be so concerned with lifting off that they seem a bit lost as to what to do once you have lifted off.
Most of them just mildly hover this way and that way and wobble and slide but in general nobody seems to have put any thought into actually flying the thing, as in actually achieving a useful flight from A to B, not just a waffling meandering hover.

Ken Burner Dec. 8, 2017, 9:55 p.m. PST
Quote of the day "The propeller is just a big fan in the front of the plane to keep the pilot cool. Want proof? Make it stop; then watch the pilot break out into a sweat."

Dennis K Dec. 7, 2017, 4:48 p.m. PST
@ExpAir
Hmm, the arm jet approach could potentially work if you make a ball-jointed frame to transfer the force to a harness, and only use your arms to direct them.

Looks a bit more tumble-resistant than Flyboard to me, but still not likely to recover once it happens. Or at least it would take longer than a reserve chute takes to open.

Flapping Flight Dec. 7, 2017, 4:49 a.m. PST
VTOL
Attachments

Flapping Flight Dec. 5, 2017, 4:14 p.m. PST
One of my favorites
Attachments

ExpAir Dec. 5, 2017, 3:12 p.m. PST
Sparrowhawk, a tailsitter. interesting watch
Attachments

ExpAir Dec. 5, 2017, 3:04 p.m. PST
Last sentence. "There are no technical obstacles in making the tiltplane a reality". hmm
Attachments